Saturday 12 April 2008

work it, work it, work it like you need the money

you know what i hate and love all at once? that awkward half hour or so that you get just after you enter a club, where you just havent started dancing yet. i hate it cos its awkward, obviously, but i also love it cos it reminds me that we actually take dancing seriously. the people that walk into a club and instantly start dancing are, i think, the real 'dancing-for-the-sake-of-it' type of people-insincere dancers, who arent doing it for the music, but for the ability to say they've gone out dancing that night or to pull someone. either that or they're really fucked. but with me, it takes a while for me to fully warm to the music, even if its music that i totally love. i have to take time to let it soak in and get myself comfortable, and my 'starting off' dance move is one that (in no way deliberately) makes me look like i'm really getting ready for something-rubbing my hands together as i gently rock back and forth. i always do this move for about ten minutes at the start of every night before i can start to really get to work, i can't help it-it just happens. and it really makes me feel good, it makes me realise that my body's taking this music really seriously, it can't just snap into it at will, it needs to work up to it, like its a really important event. and, as i'm beginning to say all too often, there's a beauty in that.

but yeah, sankeys was amazing last night. the heavy rain outside and the remote location of sankeys gave it the atmosphere of it being some outpast in which we were collected to escape the elements. or at least it did to me. a real 'we're in this together' sort of attitude last night. those weird occasions where people just come up to you and shake your hand were even more common last night. i dunno, it just felt a lot more cosey last night. and i had a really tough time deciding between upstairs and downstairs because they were both so equally good. downstairs was playing clicky, fast electronica whilst upstairs went for big beats and bouncing basslines. a tough decision for anyone to make.

it was good, really good.

-----------------------------------

why dont you waddle your fat ass over to colours and wizards, a blog started by james lightfoot, a man who's forgotten more about music than most will ever know. i always love talking about music to james, and i know his blogs are gonna be just as good. he properly loves music, like me, but unlike me, his writing doesnt consist of flowery emotional waffle, he sticks to the essentials.

it's good, really good.

------------------------------------

partner in pop rosie got me onto this remix of something good by utah saints (remix by high contrast). it's unusual for me to get into anything with a breakbeat but i do really like this.

every time i hear something good 08 i like it even more. it's sorta like 'call on me' but even better-a pure, perfect club song that simply consists of an endlessly danceable rhythm backing one serene, awe-inspiring vocal sample which is repeated over and over without ever getting tiresome, every time it comes around it's like a hug from your best friend.

i just know that somethin good is gonna happennnnnnnnnnnnn

1 comment:

technicalities said...

I'm in a weird place with clubs atm. In my head I'm all for them - but I haven't danced for nine months, and shrink away fast EVERY time someone suggests Exo. I am back in 2008.

Maarja says she only began to respect me when she saw me dance on my own in Tunnels Two, to 90s stuff, though. Mentions it regularly. Somehow, I am someone's Rosie! (Me!)